Monday, April 22, 2013

How to Become a Writer


This was the first story that we read in Professor Sweeney’s English class. I actually liked this story because it reminded me of myself. This narrator was literally all over the place. She did not care where she started off in the story or how the ending sounded. Of course she was not writing for a college class but I can understand completely where she was coming from. Her life was all over the place so this was projected in her writing. She had no plot whatsoever. The story was basically a scattered biography of her life. For some reason this is one of my favorites, she was a very interesting person. She changed her major often and had a mind of her own. Her classmates thought that she was crazy but that did not stop her from being the unique person that she was. Throughout all the confusion however, readers can understand what she’s saying all the way. I think most are just annoyed by her randomness. In the end she compared her life to coleslaw, this fits perfectly. She said that it looked like a crumpled up map of the world and in my head it looks like a crumpled up map of her life. I really liked the character though!

 

3 comments:

  1. I can see why you enjoyed the novel. It was confusing at first, but after a while I saw where the author was going with this novel. I sometimes write a whole bunch of gibberish and in the end put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the character too! She reminded me a lot of myself as well. I love that her personality was SHINING through her writing. I think its amazing when you can read something and get a sense of who the writer is or how her personality and lifestyle is. When i write i tend to be very scatter brained too. it takes alot of self discipline to have organization. So i really like blogging because its not such a strict format, it gives me the freedom to be scatter brained and not make perfect sense, but those who read really get a sense of who i am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoyed this story because she was pretty much telling us that is not always easy getting to the top.

    ReplyDelete