Monday, April 22, 2013

The Glass Menagerie


This story was very interesting to me. I think that Laura was my favorite character because she reminded me of myself in a way. Laura was very shy and introverted; she never wanted anyone to notice her. Her brother, Tom, tried to get Laura and his buddy Jim from work together as a couple but Tom did not know that Jim was engaged to be married. Laura had the biggest crush on Jim in high school but Jim never knew, she was always so shy. In the heat of the moment, Jim and Laura shared a kiss that was quickly stopped because Jim snapped back to reality, remembering that he had a fiancĂ©. Laura was not very upset about the news as I would have been. He should not have agreed to meet up with another woman if he had someone back at home. That was very irresponsible in my eyes. Before Jim left he ended up breaking an item from Laura’s menagerie accidentally but Laura was neither upset over that either. She actually told him to keep it. This was her way of saying I’m giving you a piece of the old me because I am no longer an outsider. I think in her head she was saying “I actually can get a guy, and can carry on a normal conversation with someone.” This was the beginning of the new her.

1 comment:

  1. the glass menagerie was the best story we read, because there was so much going on to keep you interested.

    ReplyDelete