Monday, April 22, 2013

We Real Cool


We Real Cool I think was my favorite poem that we’ve read in English. To me We Real Cool was about some high school teenagers that were “too cool for school.” They were very carefree and just lived life to have fun as teenagers. I think that they did their work in school but I also think they were very rebellious. They said that once they leave school they “lurk late,” in my eyes this means they come home when they want, despite their curfew. After lurking late they say that they also strike straight, I’m not sure what this exactly means but some research on the internet said that they were inquiring in some “funny business” in the middle of the night—maybe drugs. Not making any judgments though! They “sing sin,” I think this means they do wrong openly without thinking about the consequences. When I hear the phrase “singing sin” I think about singing a song with a handful of cuss words in front of Pastor. “We thin gin” to me sounds like they drink alcohol along with the other rebellious ways, why not throw that in there too. We “Jazz June” of course means sexual intercourse from the book, this is typical for most teenagers. And lastly, they “die soon,” I guess from all of their sinning and rebellious ways this is how they describe their life in a nutshell.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love how you analyzed this blog! It's like you broke it down to get the full meaning. That was a great way to do it! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete